We’re living in a world that contributes in a major way to mental fragmentation, disintegration, distraction and incoherence. We’re always doing something (especially NYer’s), and we allow little time to practice stillness and calm. When we’re at work, we fantasize about being on vacation; on vacation, we worry about the work piling up on our desks. We dwell on intrusive memories of the past or fret about what may or may not happen in the future. In this world of “dramatic distraction” and information overload it is too easy to become overwhelmed, lose focus and be swept away from the things that matter most.
Here are 7 suggestions on simplifying your daily routine in order to gain the most out of life:
1. Live With Purpose – Map out an overall game plan each week, create simple daily task and effectively execute. Be proactive in your thoughts & begin each morning with productive intent conducive to fulfilling your personal task.
2. Keep Focus – Throughout the completion of a task, the average person is distracted every 11 minutes. Distractions are detrimental to productivity. Manage your time wisely & stay on course!
3. De-clutter Your Space – When you start to care about your home, it’s a sign you’re starting to care about yourself; the health of one begets the health of the other. Donate or sell the belongings you no longer use. Organize your closets, underneath your bed, your work space, your drawers. When you clear out the clutter, you then evoke space for newness in your life.
4. Get Off The Grid – Turn off the TV, put away the cell phone, forget your emails and just BE!! Meditate, read, sing, dance, sew or have a discussion. Technology dependency tends to push us into isolation. Sit with your thoughts and enjoy the “real world”, you may like it 🙂
5. Moderation Management – Exist within reasonable limits, not in excess or extremes. Enjoy the better things in life in moderation. Be frugal, make smarter decisions on purchases. Create a healthy balance between the things you want and the things you absolutely need.
6. Respect Your Body – Eat foods that are whole and nutritious. Get the proper amount of rest. Select sexual partners wisely. Remain active and listen, your body has the capacity to heal itself, stay in-tune with it’s rhythms.
7. Learn To Say No! – The difficulty that we often experience in saying No!, in being true to what we really want, can be a significant cause of stress. Whenever we are not true to ourselves, we create disharmony that is painful or that gradually festers and saps our life of joy. No one else knows our thoughts and feelings with certainty, so it is up to us to set our own boundaries, being firm about what we can or cannot do. It is so easy in this world to take on too many commitments. We often feel obligated to people and projects, overextending ourselves & spending time that in all actuality we really don’t have. You need to be able to say No! and do what’s right for yourself in order to preserve the person you are.
Follow on FB/TW @iamEARTHNYC
Thank you for reading!